Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Many Happy Returns

Back from Louisiana, a wedding, new family, and all the rest. I thought lengthily on further writing during the trip back, which hasn't happened in some time. Perhaps writing will be a more regular fixture because of a new computer with which to use. That is news: This is the first (of many) updates coming from my new computer. It is a System76 Pangolin laptop that runs on Ubuntu. Except for the troubles formatting my iPod to it and the difficulties with the home network (which is a pretty regular affair), I am happy with it. Currently, though, I am still test-driving it for its functionality.

Potential, possibilities and concerns for the new computer: getting all the software to work properly on it; exploring the products of open-source software programmers; learning about the community of supporters and explorers of the open-source software movement; being able to write more frequently and in more places than before; and so on. Obviously, the excitement outweighs the problems. I have already made a call to customer support for help with the wireless at home, and it likely has nothing to do with the computer, which is a relief and frustration simultaneously. I have had fun making up the map of my computer; that is, finding the places I go to and explore as well as learning about the places that provide open music and other media. This latter aspect is part of a leisurely project from the winter. With the help of friends, I was able to find many great sources for music under Creative Commons licensing and in the public domain. Here are some, but not all: www.Daytrotter.com, www.elbo.ws, http://music.minneapolisfuckingrocks.com, and www.hypem.com. If someone expresses interest, I also was led to sources of blues, jazz, hindi, and other music resources.

In other news, Nebraska weather is currently beautiful. I am happy to be outside in a tolerable clime. I want to bike and write and work and walk and laugh and converse. I am jumpy, despite mild hunger, because of all that is feeling jubilant. Last night I reminisced about India and Buddhism with a new friend, Miss Adrienne, which was good to do because I too easily forget the wonder it gave to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment