Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Picking Up & Putting Together; Two Bread Recipes

I have been a bit on the outside of things. Nothing serious or melodramatic, but definitely lethargic and a tidbit removed. My weekend was spent with friends in Minnesota--The Twin Cities and St Peter--which was very much needed. On the return home, I considered getting myself together a bit and thought of a schedule. I almost immediately remembered that I loathe schedules. Then, on the tail-end of the return drive, I thought of compiling a short list of things I want to do everyday. Here is the list:

Write something (journal, letters, fiction, etc.)
Read something (fiction, essays, comics, news, etc.)
Do something with the bakery idea (bake, plan, research, etc.)
Bicycle somewhere
Yoga, Tai Chi, zazen (at least one of the above)
Clean (the house), pack (for leaving), or unpack (from college or elsewhere)

It all feels a bit like self-help, but it means I can get back on a sleep schedule and start getting things I feel are important done. This isn't particularly insightful, and it isn't intended to be, but two weeks ago, the bakery fired me for "conflict with Kevin" the co-owner and my boss. I am not going into detail, but I found how the situation was managed more perturbing than the actual outcome. All in all, I learned a good deal about baking occupationally and running a bakery while I was there, but am not exactly displeased (albeit, certainly frustrated) to no longer be there. I have been looking into graduate programs in my spare time and am planning on getting out applications relatively soon so that I might attend one next fall.

So, if you have been looking for thoughts and musings about my day, then I apologize for their absence. For recompense, here are two recipes I have been playing with, one from yesterday and one from today:

Honey Nut Bread

3 & 1/2 cups wheat flour
2 Tbsp dry yeast
1/2 Tbsp salt
3 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil/butter

Mix dry ingredients, avoiding direct contact between salt and yeast. Then, blend in wet ingredients and let sit for 45-60 minutes.

3-4 cups white flour
1 generous cup of nuts (I used walnuts)
optional: 1-2 Tbsp cinnamon (I wanted to do this, but forgot)

Mix in and stir until making a firm dough. Do not add too much flour, so start with 3 scant cups and mix thoroughly before going further. Then, turn out on floured counter and knead until the flour and nuts are incorporated. Allow to rest for 45-60 minutes. Turn dough out onto lightly floured counter and knead until smooth. Separate dough into two to six pieces and shape. I made two large loaves, beginning with braids and then circling together like a cinnamon roll. Optionally, egg wash with one egg and a bit of honey, which will probably need warmed slightly to stir together. Allow shaped loaves to proof for 20-40 minutes while oven preheats to 400 F. Bake loaves for 20-35 minutes. (Note: My loaves took 25 but were still doughy in the very center, or at one of them was, at least. Smaller loaves will bake faster, round loaves will bake more evenly.)

The egg wash--particularly with honey--will brown beautifully, but be careful to make sure the centers are done. I will probably bake smaller loaves in the future, or baguettes rather than boules. Enjoy! This is my mom's new favorite bread!

...

Baguette (with cornmeal)

Note: As of the time of writing, this is still unfinished, so I am unsure of the final product. I need to work on a baguette recipe for an event Saturday and I hope this one works. I have played with a variety of this for a while, but haven't generally recorded it.

2 cups white flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp dry yeast
1 Tbsp salt
4 Tbsp (half a stick) of butter
1 Tbsp honey
2 cups warm water (optionally, use milk for a richer bread)

Stir together dry ingredients, cut in butter and add honey next, then mix in water. If the butter is room temperature, the water temperature matters less. Let rest 45-60 minutes.

About 2 cups white flour

Stir in flour, turn out on floured counter and knead until smooth. Let rest at least 30 more minutes. Then, turn out and knead, divide into two, and roll out into long baguette shapes. The cornmeal makes it a little sticky, so use a very little bit of white flour every so often to tighten up the outer edge of the dough. I also made a simple two braid loaf for one baguette. Place on greased baking sheet (you can also make them in a large loaf pan, and they look pretty fun) and allow to proof for about 30 minutes before putting in the oven. You may egg wash with one egg and a bit of honey, warmed to allow mixing.

Bake at 400 F, but I don't know for how long. I'll start with 15 minutes and then check. I will update this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment