Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hey! It's a Bread Recipe; also, School

I made my first yeast bread in sometime for class yesterday. Julia asked for the recipe, so I already had it typed up. It was something like:
1 & 1/2 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour (more to balance)
1 Tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt (put salt on opposite side from yeast)
1 & 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 & 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter
Mix well (I did most the work in my food processor) and add enough water to make a soft dough. Turn out and knead until smooth (didn't take long after the whirring of the processor), shape into a loaf and place in a small pan. Cover and let rise for about 45-60 minutes, start oven preheat to 350 F. Before baking, drizzle with a little bit of honey and sprinkle oats on top. Bake for 18-25 minutes, once firm enough, flip out of pan and bake on the rack for 3 minutes.

The flour may be a little off. I just used what I had of the wheat. My bread pan was also the smallest one I had, so don't expect a big loaf in a large bread pan.

...

I used my food processor (new to me) in memory of making ridiculous quantities of focaccia and breadsticks for the Greens' House/ILS House Progressive Dinner back in junior year. I was on my feet for about eight hours, first baking and then hosting because nearly all of my housemates vanished. It was also one of the few identifiable times when I was really angry at someone, but it seems sort of funny thinking about that whole day coming together the way it did. Oof, I even had to do the dishes afterward. We had rounds of rather airy focaccia in the freezer for sometime. That was a nice outcome. I need to go grocery shopping and afterward, I may just make more bread.

My class with Rom Coles has yielded some really fantastic--if stupidly rushed--reading material. Like Marshall Ganz's "Why David Sometimes Wins" and right now we're reading J.K. Gibson-Graham's A Postcapitalist Politics which is pretty fantastic. I really want to pick up Young's Justice and the Politics of Difference which read in a week last year for David Schlosberg before he hightailed it to Sidney. What a loss for the school. I wrote a pretty solid paper for him and Jim Sell on grassroots food justice activism and urban planning if folks want me to post that. If you can't tell, I rather enjoy having found so many interesting readings available for free; I am growing weary of my computer screen, though. Anyone want to buy me an iPad or Nook? I swear I'll only use it for .pdfs, not real books I would rather show off on my bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment