Sunday, February 27, 2011

Haiku - Sleep

Angry words mingle
with amber light and snowfall
crashing through my dreams.

~~~

Nothing spectacular, just a night's sleep interrupted. I am unwell again, but it feels pretty glancing after last week's ordeal. We continue to be blessed with snow and my morning strolls to work are enchanting. If only I could maintain enough sleep to really savor it. Sam (one of my housemates) was sleeping on the couch this morning because his room gets too hot at night. I imagine that as I shuffle between my room and the bathroom, the kitchen and the dining table, that I am strolling through his dreams. I sit with headphones listening to New Yorker Fiction Podcast episodes while I eat breakfast, hoping that it makes the scene somewhat less unnerving when he wakes and sees me there. He inevitably wakes when I am preparing or enjoying breakfast, despite my attempt at soft footfalls and lifting the teapot before it whistles.

Friday night we hosted a housewarming party. Before the night was over I recalled a half dozen folks who I failed to invite. That said, it was a successful showing, with food and drink and words and laughter. The house was tidied for the evening and I appreciate that it has returned to a similar state. Strange: I have never hosted a "housewarming" party, but the term makes sense. Now all these friends and colleagues know where I live, have been made welcome to that space, and have enjoyed what hospitality I could provide. Also, drunkenness allows for my attention to be oddly fixated, on an overfilled wine glass for example, like a soft pressure on my mind. It is not sharp, but gradual and definite. All said and done, it was a delightful evening and I am appreciative of those who attended and apologetic toward those I failed to invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment