Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Notes on "Droplets"

The story I have just finished posting is still in its rough. I have been reading through it--I just finished doing so myself a few days ago--and have already begun to iron out inconsistencies. Overall, though, I am pretty satisfied with the tale. Kalisa refered to it as a novella, which may be saying a little much, but then again, it may not be. The story is definitely slightly macabre, but the suspense is intended to be subtle, a gradual building rather than something cacophonous. That has been taking up a bit of my time, particularly because the style is one I am rather attached to. Generally speaking, I feel that we ignore some of the mystery that pervades our world in order to make it feel solid. The introduction of George touches on the mysterious even in the world of science; it is only upon reflection that I think of "the miracle" as really tying into the story as a whole. (The science joke about the miracle is based on something a chemistry teacher brought up in high school, by the by.) Upon rereading, I feel that the story does tie into itself surprisingly well, the bits and pieces of background lending to the overall story in a way I had not predicted. I hope that it is an enjoyable read for those who have finished it, and mind that it has a few more drafts to undergo before I set it down for a while. In the meantime, I have a short story that I look forward to playing with in the near future which I will post here as well, probably in two parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment