Thursday, April 15, 2010

Larry the Finch

I have hashed out two chapters and an introduction to a peculiar little horror story involving a detective and some macabre tropes. Many of its first hints, those bread crumbs in the wood, are on the table, as well as a handful of references and allusions to various pieces of horror fiction. So far, it has been great fun. More than anything, the piece feels like fun. If I weren't making so much time to navigate the employment shallows, I would be much further along, but a boy has to make up his priorities.

I have sent a few friends some of the text and am interested in hearing from other people if they're interested. Posting it here does not provide a particularly effective venue due to formatting issues. I read the introduction aloud to Miss Miriam Cummings last night--a most unexpected audience, I might add--and felt rather confident and rather satisfied with the reading. Sure, a few sentences are particularly clunky, marred by poor diction and fragmentation. Overall, the feeling and tone was satisfactory. Not only that, but I read it well, which has its own excitement.

Lorenzo Vincenzi has a variety of names, Larry the Finch being one of them. His friends and comrades in the dark trenches are becoming more palpable to me, more coherent, clearer in focus. It is loosely based in Boston--where Lovecraft mostly lived and often set his stories--but not marked by anything overly distinctive since I am unfamiliar with the city. I have something like eighteen pages, but can expect more and more, those corners gradually lighting in an unfamiliar way compared to longer pieces I have worked on in the past.

I am happy with it, and look forward to making more time for it in the not too distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment