Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Moment Stolen

Something peculiar just happened. I was reading, then the phone rang and I stumbled upstairs to get it. It was no one (a machine or marketer) so I did not answer it, but saw the light out the window, the lawns marked by gashes of golden light. Outside, the sun glowed brilliantly between clouds, low but above the horizon, surrounded by dark lips of clouds. I ran inside for my phone to photograph it, but when I returned outside, the clouds and sun had shifted and the brilliance that had been had passed. I had seen it for no more than two or three seconds, not even a moment, and now it has passed. Such sights are among the most beautiful to me, they fill the Earth with fire, with an uncanny, supernatural illumination that I have been unable to see anywhere else. It is a not uncommon event in the Midwest, with its long tables of geography, the odd short trees transplanted on too-wide lawns. All the same, this one I allowed to be swept up and away from me. I ought to have stood there, taking it in; instead, I ran about and misplaced it, allowed it to slip away.

Hopefully such is a lesson to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment