Wednesday, May 19, 2010

NAU/Flagstaff first impressions

(If you can't tell, I've felt rather inspired to post despite being limited to typing via my phone.)

Walking about campus, it feels... recognizable. I am reminded of the worn out words of tour guides during the undergrad search, "It just felt right when I came here." That is not the case for me here, but it sure as he'll does not feel wrong. I am reminded of other locales, fond memories of places that have taken up specific nostalgic identities. The Ponderosa scattered about remind me of Duke, especially a certain precariously tottering one by the art museum there. The hills harken ever so slightly of West Virginia, the open spaces of Minnesota--especially of the expeditions further North than the Twin Cities. How strange to feel these small anchors in a place I have never been. It gives me satisfying handholds; that is to say, the strength is my own, but I am potentially allowed a certain firmness.

Later I will post photos to my tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment