Thursday, June 18, 2009

More on scones

The scones turned out great. Kalisa added green onions, orange zest, and fresh basil. They were aggressively flavored, all of the ingredients competing for attention. I added a pinch of salt to the ingredients.

This morning I made berry scones for my mom (I made mixes in jars yesterday and today, so it is quite easy). The dough was chilly and easy to handle, but the water in the berries--they were frozen--flattened the scones and fouled up the texture a little. They also took longer to bake despite my mom's pretty excellent oven.

David, a co-traveler I know from my semester in Brazil, and his partner Kate are driving through the afternoon and I am overjoyed. Showing off the cool spots in Lincoln is satisfying, in part because I feel that it can so easily defy one's assumptions about the town and the people who live here. Upending assumptions may become a regular pastime.

I have much in the way of Jane Addams and Dorothy Day, as well as a little on classical material to read for my paper on hospitality and guest-host responsibilities. The project is tentatively based on the notion that we are perpetually guests in the worlds of others and if we recognize the ties that that creates, we have some basic ground on which to build ethical discourse. As a result, we would also be hosts to one another, which then supports some basic moral conclusions, but not necessarily prescriptively. I have a good deal of reading to do though.

No comments:

Post a Comment