Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Collaborative Fiction

Anyone up for writing a game together?

Mr. Tim Loughlin has put the bug in my ear to try to play De Profundis, or some variant thereof. De Profundis is a sort of role-playing game in which to or more people write letters to one another as protagonist alter-egos. This is done explicitly in the HP Lovecraft mythos, with certain rules required for it to be played successfully. I don't have the rulebook or anything, but I am interested in playing a game, of sorts, of collaborative fiction.

Though I was better at maintaining correspondence in high school than I was in college, I enjoy letter-writing very much. The effort adds that certain personal flair and affection in an article that makes it all that much heavier and warmer to receive. If you are interested in sparking up a correspondence, I would enjoy it, but presently I am thinking of something a little different.

Is anyone out there interested in playing this sort of game? What I have in mind is, essentially, initiating an identity of sorts--someone who is or knows of a particular incident--and is hoping to discover something out with the help of another person--who perhaps is undergoing something similar. The "game" as it were, is extraordinarily open-ended and does not need to be horror-based, but suspense, I imagine, is a must. The end result is a sort of long-winded dialogue that builds up two or more characters and a larger event that happens between them and concludes only with the intellectual assistance of the other. Such a conclusion does not necessarily have to be positive, but it ought to be interesting.

Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment