Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Place in Space

I have just begun reading Gary Snyder's "A Place in Space" and instantly love it. The edition is firm and vaguely sharp and sturdy in my hands, slightly smaller than expected but thick and substantial like a hunk of cheese. The prose is atypical, often broken but so simply rich. He relies on his own insight, experience, knowledge to encounter the world and share it with others. He is candid and warm and welcomig and I don't know what I expected but wonder why I had to order it after a year or two of looking for a copy in a bookstore. Immediately one identifies his beat (post-beat?) sensibilities and puts his Buddhist disposition out in front, like a sensing hand or sniffing nose.

I am working steadily through "Blessed Unrest" and James Tiptree, Jr.'s "The Starry Rift" besides, but with a few of Snyder's books laying around, I may get distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment